Sunday, October 16, 2005

Germans

I am amazed at the number of exceptional people who have come out of Germany. Not that I have anything against Germans, they are lovely people, but the culture has put a great burden on those wanting to excel. My pet freshman called me earlier this week from this great country, and he informed me that instead of the American culture of addressing someone with their highest title, such as Dr. Morin, instead of Mr. Morin, they use all saluations. Say I were to go on to get my PhD in Chemical Engineering, obtain my PE, and go to teach at University of Berlin. I would then be addressed as Doctor Professor Engineer Sara. Actually, it would be more like Abstreichmesserin Professorin Chemikerin Sara... or something. Why would you want to put that type of burden on people. No one would ever want to talk to you for fear they would forget one of the titles!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha, it's not that bad. "Abstreichmesserin Professorin Chemikerin Sara", no one would say that. If you address someone in Germany you might say: "Herr Professor", or "Professor Mueller", leaving out his doctor title(s). On a letter envelope you would indeed write "Herrn Professor Dr. Dr. Mueller", if he has two PhDs. You would never use "Chemiker" or "Physiker".

The way you think Germans are funny, Germans think Austrians are funny, with their even more obsessive uses of titles, see here:
http://www.spiegel.de/unispiegel/wunderbar/0,1518,363231,00.html