Sunday, January 09, 2005

Adventures in Baking

So recently, I've been doing quite a bit of baking, bread to be specific. Today, I made my dough and placed it into a greased plastic bowl. I then started to boil some water on the stove and turned the oven on "warm". A warm, moist oven helps the yeast to react (ask any woman) and the bread rises faster and larger. So I placed the pot of boiling water into the oven, with the bowl of dough, turned the oven off and then focused my attention elsewhere. About 20 minutes later, I heard the oven turning on and off... so I went to check on my dough. When I looked at the oven, I noticed that the little "Hi; I'm on!" light was glowing red. I opened up to see my dough burnt, and the bowl it once was in, in globs all over the oven racks and stringing to the bottom of the oven. It seems that when I turned the oven off, I was a bit overzealous and left the oven on "broil" So if there's anyone out there that has some advice on how to clean up burnt plastic, please let me know!

I think I'm going to invest in some glass bowls too.

No comments: