Thursday, February 16, 2006

Men in Hardware Stores

Yesterday, I went in search of a new tool. First I went to Lowes. I am actually quite fond of hardware stores. Since I practically grew up in one, they feel like home. I especially like the bathroom accessories. And I would say that I am somewhat handy. At least I know the difference between a table saw and a circular saw, and if you needed a box of finishing nails, I wouldn't have to ask for help. But I digress.
I go straight to the tool section, and on my way there, an employee stops me and asks if I need any help. I ask where XYZ tools are and he directs me to they small display where they are located. I spend some time there looking at the different brands and models, but I have some very specific features that I want in this tool. The guy comes back and asks me if I need any help. I told him that I was doing fine, and then he says, "We just put one of those tools on the clearance table in the back; it was $19.95, and now it's $9.95. Let's go take a look at it." So I go all the way back, and he shows me the one on clearance, and it has neither one of the features I have dubbed as "must haves". Yes, I am female, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy something inferior just because it is on the clearance table. If he truly wanted to help me, he would have asked me what I was looking for and be able to compare products from hands on knowledge. The customer service sucked, so I walked out.

No comments: