Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Puppies!

It is official; I am unemployed and will continue to be until March 13th. As I left my former place of employment for the last time yesterday, I was reminded of a fond memory that I thought I should share.

One Sunday night, I was leaving work at about 11:30 pm, eager to get home and catch a few hours of sleep before I had to be back in at 6:30 the next morning. As I was driving down the road, I noticed something ahead walking in the street. At first, I thought it was a small deer, but as I got closer, I realized that it was a dog. A good sized dog in fact. For those who don't know, I'm not terribly fond of larger dogs. If I can kick it, it's fine in my book. So there I was trying to decide whether or not I should pick up this dog and take it back to his or her home. This type of rescue could take all night between catching the dog, figuring out where it's supposed to go, and then actually finding it. But then again, it was late, and there was a lot of semi trucks driving on this particular road, and the chance of the dog getting injured was high.

I stopped my car in the middle of the road, and got out; leaving my door open for a quick refuge if needed. I called out to the dog, and to my surprise, it was a young (maybe 8-10 months) boxer puppy. Usually loving dogs, my fears subsided and the dog came towards me. Picking up speed, it soon hit me that this dog wasn't coming to me, it was aiming at the open car door. Before I knew it, I had a hyper boxer puppy jumping all around my car! From the front seat to the back; sniffing and licking everything! Against my better judgment, I sat down in the driver's seat, to try to get a peek at the collar. The only thing I could read was "Daisy". Reading the address was nearly impossible with the lack of light, so I put the car in to drive to in search of light. Daisy enjoyed the car ride, sitting on my lap and licking my face as I was trying my hardest to see around her big head and reach the steering wheel. I don't like dogs in my face because when I was five, a St. Bernard tried to use my head for a chew toy so I spent the entire time driving trying to coax Daisy into the passenger seat without her turning on me. Finally, I came to a well lit parking lot, and was able to read the address and return Daisy to her owner without incident.

No comments: